top of page
Kelvin Brown Jr 3 (1) resized.jpg
Kelvin 9-18-2020.jpg

Kelvin Brown Jr. was born on May 31, 2001 at Martin Army Community Hospital on the post of Ft. Benning, Ga.  Born to the parents of Kelvin and Sharon Brown, Sr., it was found as early as six weeks old that Kelvin was diagnosed with Sickle Cell Beta Thalassemia. At the time, his parents were aware of the Sickle Cell disease but was not enlighten about Beta Thalassemia. Kelvin’s parents became a quick study of this disease.

Kelvin has spent most of his life in and out of doctor’s offices and hospitals dealing with various pain crisis and other conditions that sickle cell disease can bring to a person. Growing up with Sickle cell disease has always been a challenge especially when it came to school. Kelvin has worked extra hard to attend school and/or attend the hospital school.  He has constantly spoke to many of his classmates about his disease, so they could learn and understand him better.

At the age of 14, Kelvin started having more frequent, longer and more intense pain crisis. His way of life had been halted. He could no longer push to go to school or function as a normal teenager.  His body was always in pain.

To provide a more promising future for Kelvin, the doctor’s suggested a bone marrow/STEM cell transplant.  After much prayer, his parents decided to give Kelvin a chance at a sickle cell free future.

On May 30, 2018, Kelvin received the stem cell transplant.


The transplant was successful!  By day 14, his body had accepted the new donor cells and began to create new cells. (engraftment)


On June 26, 2018, Kelvin had a major set back. He has been moved from the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit to PICU at Duke Hospital.  He went into Renal and respiratory failure. Kelvin spent about a week on a ventilator.  He, however, was still on continuous dialysis. 


Then on July 29, he had another setback.  He was placed back on the ventilator. Kelvin spent about 3 and 1/2 weeks on the ventilator.  He came back this time in a paralyzed state. On September 7, 2018 Kelvin celebrated his first 100 days post transplant. Everyday he is able to regain more movement to his body.  He is also learning to talk again.


Kevin is still in the PICU and on continuous dialysis, but we believe God for complete healing. He has occupational and physical therapy every day to help him regain his strength.  With the help of PT and OT he walked on October 10th over 130 feet! He is also progressing neurologically and cognitively, During the week of of October 15, Kelvin started his senior year of high school online.


As of November 11, Kelvin is now eating, drinking, talking, writing and reading. He can also walk with assistance. We continue to pray that his kidneys return to normal, so he can come off the continuous dialysis machine.


Preston's league has been a major blessing to our family. Things we may need on a weekly basis are brought to us at the hospital.  When you live in the hospital room with your child, organization is important.  The storage containers have been AWESOME!   I never understood how important it was until you have spent over 5 months in the hospital. It is just a blessing not to have to  make store runs, my husband and I are able to spend more time with Kelvin and rest when we can. We are truly thankful for this organization!

bottom of page